Super Lawyers
The Netional Trial Lawyers - Top 40 Under 40
Avvo Clients Choice
Avvo Top Contributor
Avvo Rating

Articles Tagged with property

Published on:

money-1428594_1920-300x200In February 2018, a housekeeper in a hotel in St. Matthews, Kentucky found $193,049 hidden away in room 403. The hotel’s management called local law enforcement, who suspected the cash was linked to drugs.

The St. Matthews Police Department filed a civil lawsuit against the man who had rented the room. His co-defendant in the case was the $193,049. A judge ordered that the police department could keep 85 percent of the cash while the remaining 15 percent would go to the prosecutor’s office. The man who rented the room was not charged with any crime.
Continue reading

Published on:

A bill giving new protections for people involved in civil asset forfeiture has now passed both houses of the Tennessee legislature. If Governor Haslam signs it into law, it may become easier for people to regain property seized by law enforcement.

The bill passed the State Senate with unanimous support and was supported by both civil rights and libertarian groups. “This is a rare bill because you had the ACLU on one side and the Beacon Center on the other, and they both agreed on it,” said Sen. Todd Gardenhire (R-Chattanooga), who cosponsored the bill. Continue reading