Estania Eloi is taking legal action against Heart to Heart Learning Center in Belle Grade, Florida, after her 11-month-old son, Nathaniel, suffered second degree burns at the daycare center and allegedly received no medical help from daycare staff. The incident occurred on November 7. Eloi had dropped her son off at the center and was later called to pick him up, but she allegedly wasn’t told what had happened to him.
When she arrived at the center, a daycare worker reportedly gave her baby and told her to take him to a hospital because “he has a fever.” Eloi initially hadn’t seen the burnt side of her son’s face and was shocked to learn he had suffered severe burns, sources say. Hot liquid from a bottle warmer reportedly fell on the right side of the child’s face, shoulder, and arm, causing his skin to peel and blister.
Eloi is reportedly upset that the daycare workers didn’t call 911 for help. She told news sources, “I know it’s an accident but [the staff] didn’t try to help my child. He could have died. . .” Eloi rushed Nathaniel to St. Mary’s Hospital, where he was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Burn Center in Miami. The child has since recovered and other than a large pink scar on the right side of his face, he appears to be doing well.
Eloi says she filed the suit to make sure other children don’t suffer the same neglect. The suit alleges that the daycare center failed to follow standard safety measures, that its staff shouldn’t be handling babies around hot bottle warmers, and that they should have called an ambulance for Nathaniel after he was injured.
Eloi warns other parents of young infants to watch their kids when they come home from daycare centers and to make sure they are physically unharmed. The Department of Children and Families and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident as an accident.
Source: 11.17.16 Eloi Negligence.pdf