Super Lawyers
The Netional Trial Lawyers - Top 40 Under 40
Avvo Clients Choice
Avvo Top Contributor
Avvo Rating
Published on:

Edward Dewey Waters III of Davie, Florida Arrested for Battery on an Elderly Person

Edward Dewey Waters III of Davie, Florida was arrested Saturday for allegedly slapping his elderly mother-in-law across the face, news sources report. Waters, 44, was booked into the Broward County Main Jail on charges of battery on a person 65 or older, resisting arrest, and battery on a law enforcement officer. A judge ordered that he be held in lieu of $2,100 bail bond. Reports did not specify an attorney for Waters.

According to reports, the incident occurred at a home in the 3700 block of Northwest 78th Avenue. Waters, his wife, and his mother-in-law were arguing about something when an angry Waters allegedly began throwing and destroying items inside the house. At one point, he tried to tip a pricey 55-inch flat screen television, but his mother-in-law stepped in and grabbed it so it wouldn’t fall, sources say. Waters allegedly slapped the woman in retaliation.

An officer responded to the house and found the front door ajar, reports say. Inside, he could reportedly hear screaming and crashing sounds. The officer ordered everyone out of the home; everyone except Waters, who reportedly remained inside and yelled expletives at the officer, complied. The officer reportedly ordered Waters to come out of the house four times to no avail.

Reports say the officer eventually deployed his stun gun to subdue Waters, who was resisting arrest. Sources say Waters continued to resist while being taken to a hospital and at one point kicked the officer’s laptop, which closed on the officer’s hand. After a trip to the hospital, Waters was booked into the county jail, reports say. It does not appear as though anyone was seriously injured in the altercation.

Waters wasn’t the only Florida resident to be subdued by force this past week. Scooter, a 7-year-old llama, had to be tasered by police early Saturday morning after he escaped his home, news sources report. The llama belongs to Jack Conrad of Tallahassee. Conrad has not been cited for the incident, but has been asked to build a more secure fence for his llama.

According to reports, the incident started Friday night when Scooter escaped Conrad’s fenced-in yard. Conrad realized the llama was missing and set out searching for it all night and early Saturday morning. Meanwhile, police received several calls from concerned citizens who claimed to have seen what they thought was a camel or an alpaca walking along the street.

Officers investigated the area and found Scooter in the street. “Scooter was running in the middle of the road, so he was going to cause an accident eventually,” a police spokesperson said. Six officers surrounded the llama and tossed a lasso around its neck. However, the animal struggled and the officers were forced to use a taser to subdue him.

The llama was loaded into a trailer and released back into the custody of Conrad. Officers agreed not to charge Conrad for the escaped animal, but he has agreed to makes his fence a bit more escape-proof. The llama was not harmed during the incident.

Sources: 6.3.13 Waters Battery.pdf, 6.3.13 Conrad Llama.pdf.

Posted in:
Published on:

Comments are closed.