Nancy James of North Lauderdale, Florida was injured after she was body slammed and thrown into a pool by a 16-year-old for trying to control an unauthorized party. Video footage of the incident shows James, 68, getting picked up by the 16-year-old boy and then slammed onto the ground before he dragged her into the pool.
The 16-year-old, whose name is withheld because of his age, faces one charge of battery on a person 65 years of age or older. He reportedly turned himself in at a Broward Sheriff’s Office station on Monday evening with his mother and a lawyer. He was arrested and taken to Broward Regional Juvenile Facility.
According to the incident report, James told police officers that she went with another resident of the Player’s Place Complex development in North Lauderdale on Saturday evening to stop a rowdy, unauthorized party that was taking place at the pool deck. James and the other resident said there were nearly 200 kids in the pool and surrounding area.
The teen’s violent reaction reportedly left James “frightened and upset” and she suffered injuries to her leg and shoulder as a result of being dragged into the pool. Police noted that her cell phone and home alarm key were also damaged in the water.
After the incident, several unit owners called the sheriff’s office for help. Residents had reportedly already tried to call the authorities to deal with the loud noise, but they hadn’t arrived by the time James confronted the group.
Broward Sheriff’s Office announced that it was investigating the incident on Monday morning and requested the community’s help in identifying the teen who injured James. He showed up at the station in the evening and reportedly said, “I messed up and I have to own up to it.” On Tuesday, sources report that the teen was given 21 days in juvenile detention, which he will serve at home wearing an ankle monitor.
Another incident involving a teenager and an elderly person was reported in Palm Beach County last week. Juan Hernandez-Guillen was arrested on May 2 for his involvement in a head-on collision that killed a 60-year-old man in January.
Hernandez-Guillen, 17, is being charged as an adult with DUI with serious injury, DUI with property damage, and DUI homicide. His bail was set at $35,000 during a hearing last Wednesday. He was also ordered to wear an ankle monitor to check for alcohol use.
According to the arrest report, the incident took place at 3 a.m. on January 23 on SW 16th Street in Belle Glade. Hernandez-Guillen was reportedly driving a 2006 Ford truck north when he drifted into the southbound lanes and crashed into a 1989 GMC driven by Genero Ortiz. Ortiz, 60, died at the scene and his passenger, Jose Carbajal, suffered serious injuries.
Hernandez-Guillen was taken to a nearby hospital where he allegedly told investigators that he had been drinking beer. Investigators obtained a search warrant and drew his blood that same night. His blood-alcohol levels read .121 and .087. The legal limit for the state is 0.8.