Nathan Urbano Valentin of Hollywood, Florida was arrested on Wednesday and faces charges for sexual assault and battery on a minor. Valentin, 27, was allegedly a maintenance man in the building where the then 6-year-old Lauderdale Lakes girl lived. He purportedly molested her and forced her to perform sex acts on October 2014. Valentin is being held without bond, and it is still unclear if he has acquired the services of an attorney.
According to the reports, a warrant for Valentin’s arrest was issued in December last year. The warrant was reportedly issued after the victim told detectives at Broward Sheriff’s Office that a maintenance man she knew as “Nate” had sexually assaulted her while her grandmother was sleeping.
Investigators were able to identify Valentin as “Nate” using a driver’s license that he allegedly forgot at the girl’s home. The victim’s mother reportedly gave police the ID.
In Valentin’s first-appearance court session, Broward assistant state attorney Stacey Honowitz attempted to explain why it took detectives so long to take Valentin into custody. She said that police had trouble finding him even though they knew his identity, sources say. Honowitz also said that the victim didn’t tell her mother sooner because “she was scared.” The assistant state attorney asked Broward Judge John “Jay” Hurley, who is presiding over the case, to have Valentin held without bond. The judge granted her request.
Records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Department of Corrections show that Valentin has previous convictions for burglary and robbery charges. He was released from prison in June of 2013 and has been working as a maintenance man ever since. If convicted, Valentin faces life imprisonment.
Another Hollywood man faces similar charges for purportedly sexually assaulting a girl under 12. Enrique Cruz of Hollywood, Florida faces several charges for lewd and lascivious molestation and sexual assault on a victim under 12. After Cruz was arrested, he allegedly confessed to having sexual intercourse and inappropriately fondling his young victim on six different occasions over the course of five weeks. Investigators handling the case say Cruz, 18, admitted to knowing the child’s age. Cruz did not have a private attorney with him during his first-appearance court session.