Oregon State Police are reporting that a shooter murdered 10 people and injured at least 20 are injured, including one female who sustained a severe chest wound. The shooting took place earlier today at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon – which is approximately 180 miles south of Portland.
As of the publication of this report:
- Currently, there is no active shooter
- 10 people are dead, 20 injured including one chest wound
- The shooter has been neutralized/detained
- It is not known if there is more than one shooter
- It is not known if there is a larger conspiracy
- The shooter’s identity has not been released
- The shooter’s motive is not yet known.
- It is not known if this is terror related, domestic violence motivated, or an outlier/mental instability case
The college campus and the immediate surrounding area has been sealed off by law enforcement. The public is being asked to keep away.
According to Douglas County Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler, multiple victims were found in multiple classrooms and two died en route to the hospital. He also stated that the shooter was neutralized by law enforcement. However, the Oregon State Police spokesperson is indicating that the shooter has been detained. It is not known if law enforcement shot the gunman or were able to arrest him/her uninjured.
Umpqua Community College has approximately 3,300 full time students and about 16,000 part time student. There is concern about whether or not this shooting is part of a larger conspiracy, an act of terror, or an outlier/mental health case as has been seen in other school shootings.
This is an active crime scene and no other information is available at the moment. We will keep you posted as this case develops.