Anthony Donahue, who was fatally electrocuted by a power line while trimming a tree in Fort Lauderdale in April this year, was, according to his employer, “responsible for his own actions.” Donahue, 34, reportedly used an aluminum pole saw to trim an 18-foot tall palm tree on Bay View Drive that was too close to a power line.
Ray Carolan, Donahue’s employer and the owner of Monster Tree Service, told news sources that while “it’s a very unfortunate accident,” Donahue was responsible for his own actions as a subcontractor. Carolan claims Donahue was provided with the necessary tools to safely perform his job.
“He was trimming the canopy of a tree with a metal ladder and metal pole saw when he had a fiberglass ladder and fiberglass pole saw ready to rock-and-roll right there . . . I can’t tell you how many times we talked about this in safety meetings.”